- The focus on using proven technologies as a base and through high level principles of simplicity, material savings and extended life aim to build product that reduces Cost of Energy (CoE), balanced by a fundamental aim to control and minimize risks for the product as well as for personnel.
- Reduce known offshore risks and COE by means of:
- Proven components (technology) – Confirmed or applied by industry
- Components eliminations by conceptual design choices – Simplification reached by integrated designs
- Lowering material consumption – Achieved through integrated design and as result of and eliminations
- Life time extension with new operational strategy
- The power plant approach entails an holistic view on the turbine as the integration of components in the full lifetime and transportation, installation, operation and maintenance
The outcome – the 2B6 wind turbine
The 2B6 combines design that are known and proven from the past. By challenging the design choices through the design principles, the configuration demonstrates a combination of tailored offshore applications and technologies that leads to distinctive advantages compared to “state-of-the-art” technology of today.
The Integrated Power Plant Design by 2-B
Description of the “Power Plant” CAPEX components
The 2B6 is a 6 MW offshore wind power plan. The nacelle and rotor have been tailored (A) in its behaviour with related components. The nacelle with its damped yaw system matches well with the full jacket structure (B). Nacelle loads are hereby well managed with good damping and individual pitch control. The generation configuration has also been carefully tailored to work in harmony with an adapted electical system (C), designed with the 2B6. This provides for simplification, redundancy and lower cost. The machine head and the full jacket structure hs also been optimized for simple transport and installation (D).
The “Power Plant” Operational components
Due to the un-obstructed nacelle configuration with the 2 bladed rotor, helicopter landing (E) makes access possible at almost all times. Even 24/7 operation will be possible in the 2-B wind farm. The operation strategy (F) has been carefully sculptured to mitigate known risks and lower costs. 40 year plant life is matched with pre-planned periodic nacelle overhauls. Every 10 years the nacelle with rotor is “swapped”, refurbished and cycled back in to the project. As the systems and strategies has been adapted to helicopter operation, this enables the plant to realise greater efficiency and lower levels of CoE.